Drug abuse is often a symptom of another problem like depression and other mental disorders. Over 7.9 million Americans struggle with a dual diagnosis of substance abuse and mental disorder as of 2014. That is why it’s important to find ecstasy rehab centers that treat dual diagnosis, or co-occurring disorders.
Co-Occurring Disorders Seen in Ecstasy Rehab Centers
Ecstasy rehab centers report finding several mental disorders among users of the psychoactive drug. Depression and anxiety are common as the drug impairs normal functioning of serotonin in the brain, reducing control of mood and cognition. Others symptoms include panic attacks, delusional thoughts, and hallucinations.
Finding More Than Mental Disorders at Ecstasy Rehab Centers
Along with mental disorders, Ecstasy rehab centers report a co-occurrence of substance abuse. As a party drug, many users mix Ecstasy with alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine, and marijuana. Combining Ecstasy and alcohol can increase cell and organ damage. Alcohol also impairs judgment, leading one to drink more than is safe which can cause overdose. This can prove deadly.
Finding Help Before It’s Too Late
It is important to get tested for dual diagnosis when seeking treatment. Often a person seeking help will only be treated for one symptom, Ecstasy use, because the other symptoms were not evaluated. Then when he or she leaves rehab the other symptoms reoccur, causing relapse of substance abuse. But this can be avoided.
When looking for Ecstasy rehab centers, be honest about poly-drug use– using multiple substances. Also, report any feelings of depression, anxiety, or panic. By reporting all your symptoms up front, the rehab center can give you the best treatment to help you recover and avoid relapse.
Treatments Available at Ecstasy Rehab Centers
Most Ecstasy rehab centers will recommend outpatient treatment unless a diagnosis of poly-drug use is present. In those cases; partial hospitalization programs or intensive outpatient programs may be a better choice.
Regardless of the housing options chosen, several therapies will be recommended for anyone who struggles with Ecstasy addiction.
- Individual Therapy with a cognitive behavioral therapist helps to show why substance abuse started and how to avoid those triggers. This therapy will look at how a dual diagnosis of mental disorder affects substance abuse.
- Peer Group Counseling helps the person struggling with addiction see he or she is not alone. The interaction between participants gives insights that one may be more open to receiving through others also struggling with addiction.
- 12-Step Programs are peer groups that focus on specific steps to sobriety involving reliance on a Higher Power.
Alternative Treatments Available at Ecstasy Rehab Centers
Along with traditional therapies, many Ecstasy rehab centers offer alternative treatments to support recovery.
- Nutrition Therapy helps support recovery from the damage drug and alcohol abuse causes the body.
- Art and Music Therapy offers an outlet to express emotions around drug and alcohol abuse that may be hard to put into words.
- Equine Therapy shows how actions can affect others. Many people who suffer from drug and alcohol abuse do not see how their behaviors affect loved ones. Working with horses gives them an unbiased reaction to their actions.
Choosing Ecstasy Rehab Centers that Treat Dual Diagnosis
If you or a loved one struggles with a dual diagnosis involving Ecstasy abuse, call Northlake Recovery at (561)-770-6616. We can help you find and treat the cause of addiction.